Line in/mic recording

General questions about Dexster

Line in/mic recording

Postby grrlrighter » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi,

I am using the trial version of Dexster 3.1. I am very new to audio recording, so my problem may be something obvious that I'm not aware of.

I am trying to record using the microphone jack on my computer. I can record only on the left channel. I have tried going to my sound icon in my control panel and showing disabled devices in the recording tab, but nothing else comes up; only my microphone array and my line in/mic. How can I make a stereo recording?

I am using Windows Vista Premium (32) on a Dell XPS 1330, sound card is SigmaTel High Defenition Audio CODEC. Thanks!

gr
grrlrighter

line-in (stereo vs. mono)

Postby grrlrighter » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:23 pm

I believe I've solved my own problem, so if anyone else is experiencing this, here's what I've discovered:

I was using a single microphone, plugged into my single line-in jack, which directly feeds into the sound card. Apparently, this is the textbook definition of a mono recording, not a stereo recording. I had instructed Dexter to record the audio as a stereo recording, hence the empty right channel. I resaved my recordings as mono recordings, and now they play out of both speakers.

I'm sure this is a novice mistake. I hope it helps anyone else who's just learning the audio recording ropes!
grrlrighter

Return to Dexster Questions